Natural Yellow Sapphires From Ceylon Sri Lanka
January 14, 2024
PRATHAP DE SILVA
What is a Natural Yellow Sapphire?
A natural yellow sapphire is a type of gemstone that belongs to the corundum family. It is a variety of the mineral known as corundum, which is also the same mineral that forms rubies. The yellow color in sapphires is caused by the presence of trace elements, such as iron and titanium, during the gemstone's formation.
How durable is a Natural Yellow Sapphire?
Natural yellow sapphires are known for their exceptional durability. In fact, sapphires are one of the hardest gemstones, second only to diamonds on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness. The Mohs scale rates the hardness of minerals from 1 to 10, with 10 being the hardest. Yellow sapphires have a rating of 9 on the Mohs scale, making them highly resistant to scratches and everyday wear and tear.
Why are Natural Yellow Sapphires considered durable?
The durability of natural yellow sapphires can be attributed to their crystal structure and composition. Sapphires are made up of tightly packed atoms arranged in a specific pattern, which gives them their hardness. Additionally, sapphires have excellent toughness, meaning they are resistant to chipping and breaking. This makes them an ideal choice for jewelry that is meant to be worn daily.
Are Natural Yellow Sapphires treated?
Unlike some gemstones, natural yellow sapphires are typically not treated. They are prized for their natural beauty and are often left untreated to showcase their vibrant yellow color. However, it's important to note that some yellow sapphires may undergo heat treatment to enhance their color or clarity. This treatment is considered acceptable within the gemstone industry as long as it is disclosed to the buyer.
Why choose a Natural Yellow Sapphire?
There are several reasons why choosing a natural yellow sapphire is a great choice:
- Durability: As mentioned earlier, natural yellow sapphires are highly durable and can withstand everyday wear and tear.
- Color: The vibrant yellow color of natural yellow sapphires is truly captivating. It adds a touch of warmth and elegance to any piece of jewelry.
- Rarity: Natural yellow sapphires are relatively rare compared to other colored gemstones, making them a unique and valuable choice.
- Unearthed Gemstones: Natural yellow sapphires are mined from the earth, making them a natural and environmentally friendly choice.
How to care for a Natural Yellow Sapphire?
To keep your natural yellow sapphire looking its best, it's important to take proper care of it:
- Cleaning: Clean your yellow sapphire regularly using warm soapy water and a soft brush. Avoid using harsh chemicals or ultrasonic cleaners.
- Storage: When not wearing your yellow sapphire jewelry, store it in a soft pouch or a separate compartment to prevent scratches.
- Avoid Impact: While sapphires are durable, they can still chip or crack if subjected to a strong impact. Avoid wearing your yellow sapphire jewelry during activities that may expose it to rough treatment.
In conclusion, natural yellow sapphires are not only beautiful but also durable gemstones. Their exceptional hardness and toughness make them a popular choice for jewelry that is meant to be worn daily. Whether you're looking for a unique engagement ring or a stunning pendant, a natural yellow sapphire is sure to make a lasting impression.